25 Jan 2009

Artisan of the Week, Deanna of Dede Etsy Shop

Spring is only just around the corner and we all love to have a fresh start at this time of year. Spring cleaning out our homes to welcome in the bright sunshine of the summer months often leads us to redecorating or sprucing up our houses. This weeks artisan Deanna makes lots of beautiful cushions and homewares. With so much variety in her shop you will be sure to find something to compliment any colour scheme you might have.Find out all about her and her craft.

1. Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
Hi! My name is Deanna Janssen and I am 26 years old. I am a stay at home mom to a wonderful little boy, a part time student and an Etsyaholic! I am going to school to become a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (ultrasound tech) and am currently on the waiting list. My husband owns and runs three busy businesses, plus we flip houses. Needless to say, we are super busy and crafting and creating is my major outlet! Without it I would probably go nuts!

2. What led you to take up your craft?
I guess I have always been a crafter! ( I bet everyone says that, right!?) I have always enjoyed making things, sewing, knitting, painting and creating! Anything that keeps my hands busy! My grandma was and still is an avid sewer and when I was little I always used to sit in her basement and watch her sew and go through her huge cupboard of material and buttons. She always made me cute handmade stuffed animals and dolls.

3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
I enjoy pretty much every part of my work! If I had to pick one, I think it would be seeing the final product! I love seeing what I envisioned come to reality. Sometimes it comes out exactly how I wanted it, sometimes better, sometimes worse! But it all works out in the end! I will tweak something until it comes out the ways I want it!

4. Which part do you find hardest?
The hardest part is when my sewing machine becomes possessed! I just bought a new one, thinking it would frustrate me less, but it still doesn't like me! I talk to it, threaten to throw it out the window and then it usually behaves for a bit!

5. Where do you hope to be in 1 year's time?
In one years time I hope to have become a successful Etsy seller! I also hope to be continually inspired and to come up with creative, one of a kind ideas!

6. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
The best advice I have ever been given is probably, "For others to love you, you first have to love yourself". I think the same is for my crafting. I need to love it first, in order for other people to love it! I honestly don't think I could create something I didn't love!

7. Could you name artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
Some of my favorite shops are:
Wry and Ginger- for hilarious cards of any occasion
danitashop- very talented artist- love her stuff!
Middleburg- lovely papier-maché sculptures
SunshineAndRavioli- adorable gift tags and such
artandphilanthropy- love their cute prints

8. What is your favourite sandwich filling?
Sandwich filling? Hmm...not huge into sandwiches. How about a pizza sub- does that count??

Thank you Deanna for sharing a bit about your life with us and craft. With so many pretty items in your shop I'm sure you aim for next year will come true. Readers if you wish to keep up with what is going on in Deanna's life and shop, you might like to add her blog to the ones you follow.

Written by Lynne of PiratePixieCrew and Hyperloop Hoops

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful feature on a very creative and talented artisan!
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing my shop with your readers! It is really appreciated!
    Deanna dedeetsyshop :)

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP