4 Jan 2009

Artisan of the Week, Jill Brown from Out of the Pink Sky Designs

Today's Artisan of the week first caught my eye with her unusual cat earrings. There are many cat earrings in the world but not many like Jill Brown's of Out of the Pink Sky Designs. After following her kitties back to her Etsy shop I found that this very talented lady had so much more to offer...

Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
I'm Jill Brown, the founder and driving force behind Out of the Pink Sky Designs. I live in Columbus Ohio with my husband, Matt, a transplant from England, our pug, Xander, and our cat, Sushi. I began as a fairly straightforward beader. I mainly wanted to make things that I would wear since my style is pretty eclectic and I had a hard time findings things I liked. As time went on, I learned some wire wrapping skills, and learned to work with shrink plastic. I eventually moved into precious metals and semiprecious gemstone jewelry. In general, I tend to stick with earrings and pendants because I enjoy making those the most.

What led you to take up your craft?
Two things - first, I had a difficult time findings earrings I liked that were unusual. When I did, I was allergic to them. I basically started working with jewelry because I needed to switch my earring hooks to sterling silver so I could wear them. From there, I decided that I'd like to make my own earrings. My craft snowballed from there into a business. I learned wire wrapping techniques and learned to work with sterling silver and gemstones.

Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
That's a toss up. I love learning new skills and findings interesting ways of using those new skills with those I already have. However, little compares to the feeling of selling a piece, knowing that someone likes your work well enough to wear it on their body.

Which part do you find hardest?
Promoting. I already have a non-creative day job. I would like for my free time to be spent doing creative activities. However, promoting is necessary.

Where do you hope to be in 1 year’s time?
I do not believe that I would be able to support myself with my craft, especially considering my need for health insurance. However, I hope to be selling at the biggest local shows and doing well on Artfire and Etsy. I also hope that I have a new day job, but that's a whole other story!

What is the best advice you have ever been given?
To take photos of my work outside, in the afternoon, on an overcast day. We get plenty of those in central Ohio. The sort of environment has done a work of good for my photos which, if you're selling on-line, is an absolute necessity! Better photos means more exposure which means more sales.

Name other artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
My favorite artisans include Beatblack, aminyitray, Auryn design, Sepia Lepus, and I love the dolls at strangedolls. I would also recommend checking out Columbus artists and crafters on Etsy

What is your favourite sandwich filling?
That's a tough one. I think I would go with turkey, swiss, coleslaw, and Russian dressing.


Thank you for joining in with our blog Jill. I was so glad you agreed to do this interview. You have such a wide range of designs in your shop, from traditional through to some very individual modern pieces. It's so nice to see the variety. Check out her shops dear readers. You are sure to find something to delight at!

Written by Lynne of Hyperloop Hoops and Pirate Pixie Crew.

1 comment:

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP