22 Mar 2009

Artisan of the Week, Jo from Dolly Knits

Today I take great pleasure in introducing to you a fellow knitter and designer Jo from Dolly Knits. This is the lady that designed and created the much talked about "Bright Red Coffee Cup Cozy Sling". She also makes a whole host of other lovely knitted goodies. Her work is divine and you can see it on Etsy and Folksy. Now I'll let her tell you a bit more about herself.

1. Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
Hello! I am Jo and a recent graduate in BA Hons Textile Design from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, UK. I specialized in designing knitted textiles for fashion and interiors and recently decided to start my Dolly Knits shop on Etsy and a UK shop on Folksy, selling things I like to knit for fun. My Great Gran was called Dolly so I thought I would steal her name for my knitty business.

2. What led you to take up your craft?
When I was younger my Mum had always knitted, so I think I was brainwashed at a young age to love knitting. I didn't start knitting properly until I went to University where I learnt how to use domestic knitting machines and then industrial Dubied knitting machines. Since then, I have continued hand knitting and am still teaching myself new techniques all the time.

3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
I love starting to knit something and not really knowing where it is going and then ending up with a final product which looks exciting and works. I also love to shop for yarn and usually end up with much more than I really need. I enjoy spending a lot of time getting involved in the crafty online community. It also fun for meeting people and getting information and tips on techniques and materials.

4. Which part do you find hardest?
The hardest part is organising time and being able to fit in all the designing, knitting, blogging and promoting that there is to do.

5. Where do you hope to be in 1 year’s time?
In one years time, I would love to have designed and made full collections of accessories and clothing for all seasons, and have a steady flow of customers through my shops, building up to being able to run Dolly Knits full time in the future.

6. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
If you go wrong, always go back and correct it immediately, if you leave it and it is not perfect, it will annoy you forever more.

7. Could you name artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
Joanna Rutter's Jewellery.
Hannah Fenton Steven's Jewellery.
Applique Childrens Gifts from Tobyboo.

8. What is your favourite sandwich filling?
Prawn Mayonnaise.

Thank you for answering our questions and joining in with our blog Jo. I agree whole heartedly with the best advice you were given. It does eat away at you if you know that imperfection is there, even if no one esle knows it. So lovely readers if you want to know more about Jo and keep up with whats going on in her world you can Visit her shops and read her blog where hopefully soon it will tell you thats Dolly Knits has become her full time job and that her hopes for the future have all come true. Well the sun is shining and I have a vegetable plot to dig over. Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Written by Lynne of PiratePixieCrew and Hyperloop Hoops

9 comments:

  1. Great feature, I love her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love the scarf- the ends are so cool!! Just bought wool for my grandma so she can knit me a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, lovely knits and wishing you all the best with your dream to be doing this full-time Dolly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview, and the work is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice feature, the knits are great! good luck to you with your dream of running Dolly Knits full-time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, I love her work!!

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP