21 Jun 2009

Artisan of the Week, Leslie of Comfortable Shoes

Yippee it's Sunday and I get to introduce you to another fabulous artisan of the week. This week we are going all book worm on you with Leslie of Comfortable Shoes. This lady has been creating handmade books and journals for over 10 years and really knows what she is doing. Her Artfire and Etsy shops are full of fantastic goods and I wanted to find out a bit more about the lady that created them so I invited Leslie to join in with the blog.

1. Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
Hi my name is Leslie and I make books. I make books out of old advertising posters that are hard to recycle in traditional methods. They make great tough books covers though! I call it UPcycling! I've been making books for close to 10 years now. I also make some traditional leather covered books in the style of Moleskines.

2. What led you to take up your craft?
I used to be into 'zines so I think my interest is a direct result of the bindings I saw in 'zines. BUT I taught myself how to make books after looking for a sketchbook with just the right paper for a decent price and I couldn't find one. So I picked up a bunch of books on the subject and started in. I love making books.

3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
I've been able to see a few of my customers in person. The look of joy when they open their notebook or journal is pretty great. I also really enjoy it when I pull a book out of the press for the first time and feel the leather and see a well crafted product.

4. Which part do you find hardest?
Finding enough time in the day/ week to do what I love.

5. Where do you hope to be in 1 year’s time?
Hmm. I hope to still be making books in my spare time.

6. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Keep on keepin' on. Stick to it, work hard and keep doing the things you enjoy.

7. Could you name artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
Of course. I love a lot of them. Girlscantell makes great screen printed stuff, abitabite for funny cat toys (NSFW), MyHandBoundBooks , GoodKarma, Brainscan for good coffee and 'zines!

8. What is your favourite sandwich filling?
Sheesh this is a hard one for me... I like sandwiches... right now it's tuna salad with fuji apple and dried cranbarried with pecans and just a dash of dill... hmm no it's chicken salad with grapes and celery... no Italian cold cuts or or or a really good grilled cheese. Yeah that's it. Washed down with an icy glass of sweet tea.

Thank you Leslie for coming on to our blog. I adore your books. They are so individual and well made. So readers if you have been inspired by this interview to get your hands on one of Leslie's books check out both her shops and her blog to keep up with what's going on in the Comfortable Shoes world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP