28 Jun 2009

Artisan of the Week, Peter of Celtsmith

I'm so excited to share the work of our artisan of the week with you. I loved so many pieces in Peter of Celtsmith Artfire, Dawanda and Etsy shops that it took me an age to whittle it down to five, so be sure to visit all his shops to see much more of Peters work. His work is truly beautiful. Now whilst you read this I'll be figuring out which one piece I'd like to give a home to, as I'm pretty much banned from shopping this month, but one pretty torc wouldn't hurt would it Mr Bank Manager?

1. Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do?
O.K. I will come clean from the start. I am an old guy, I have been making jewellery out of old cutlery and wire of all sorts since the 1960's. Back when I had kids to feed I made whatever the people were buying whether I liked it of not. Bracelets, brooches, anklets tiaras etc etc. anything to keep house and home together. Now the kids all have lives of their own I can make what I like, not what I have to.
That's why I love Artfire and Etsy. Because of them I can go into my studio and make whatever I feel moved to do then find a buyer. Where its at for me right now, is channelling the work of my ancient European ancestors, the Celts

2. What led you to take up your craft?
Once a long long time ago I saw someone make jump rings by winding a wire round a rod and cutting the rings off. It sounds so simple but it opened a door and I went in.

3. Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
The exciting part is experimenting with techniques to work out how those clever ancestors got results. They had the most basic equipment but produced works of art. Asking the question, then solving the problem, that's what I like.

4. Which part do you find hardest?
The rare occasion when I have to make a lot of things all the same.


5. Where do you hope to be in 1 year's time?
In my studio

6. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Sleep on it. That is to say don't shoot from the hip, think first.

7. Could you name artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
I never log on to Artfire or Etsy without touring some shops. There are endless surprises and starting points.

8. What is your favourite sandwich filling?
Baked beans, yes yucky I know but whenever, as a kid, I complained about the endless Cheese sandwiches in my lunch box my mum would put in baked beans the next day. Back to cheese after that. So bean always lift my spirits.

Thank you for being part of our blog Peter. Your work is stunningly gorgeous. I love the unique recycled cutlery pieces... Dear reader if you see one of the cutlery pieces you like be sure to snap it up fast as many are one off and would be almost impossible to replicate, so don't miss out... and as the daughter of a Welsh man the celtic influences on your work appeal to me greatly. It's great to see the flashes from the long gone past in your work. Check out his shops dear reader, you're in for a treat!

Written by Lynne of the PiratePixieCrew and Hyperloop Hoops

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP