4 May 2008

Artisan of the week, Caroline of Kitty Pink Stars

So it's Sunday again... where did this week go? Today's artisan makes the most fabulous, brightly coloured creatures you could ever hope to snuggle up with. Their long arms and legs are perfect for giving big squidgy cuddles. Caroline of Kitty Pink Stars quite obviously lavishes these wee beasties with love when she creates them and her son, Noah, tops off that love with a giant hug... I'll let Caroline explain.


1.Could you please introduce us to who you are and what you do

Hello..I'm Kitty, I'm a 33 year old Mum who is inspire by...my little boy, Japan, Kawaii, bright colours and makes sock and knitted creatures and knitted accessories!

2.What led you to take up your craft?
My Nan made all my toys as a child and along with my Mum, taught me to knit! When my son (NOAH) was born in 2001 I started to knit again after years of not doing it. Then I bought him a Paul Frank sock monkey for Christmas when he was 3! He named him little blue and took him everywhere, one day he lost him and was so heartbroken, it felt like a death in the family. This really made me remember the importance of toys! My Mum bought me the Paul Murphy sock creature book and I was inspired then to make my own, in my own style....The long legged sock monkey appearance was what I wanted, but with a creature feel that I could make my own! I knit each one a sweet treat or snack to take with it to its new home and I now knit some of the creatures too..I created my own pattern so I could extend the range of colours and the textures!! Now Noah has lots of creatures..Raymond is his best friend (He's a skinny blue one!) And he has been promoted to chief hugger, so every creature is preloaded with hugs before it leaves! All his friends have one as well!

3.Which part of your work do you most enjoy?
The smile on Noah's face when I make something NEW!! I enjoy all of it! The colours, the bringing something to life!! I love to be able to use my imagination and create something unique that can bring people together! I am still in contact with many adoptee Mums and Dads from around the world!

4.Which part do you find hardest?
Finding time to fit everything in!! Life gets in the way of all I want to do..There are so many ideas in my head bursting out!

5.Where do you hope to be in 1 year’s time?
I say this every time but..I would like to have my own website set up and be doing regular craft events and fairs! Mostly I'd like to be still enjoying doing this as much as I am now..If not even more!

6.What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Go for it!! Always be true to yourself!!

7.Name other artisans sites/shops would you recommend are worth a visit?
Lupin for the greatest, kookiest collection of felty goodies!
Lauren Smash Toys Cutest fleecy plushies!
And any of the UK street team!!! They rock!!

8.What is your favourite sandwich filling?
Cheese and chilli!

Thank you for quizzing me!!! It's been fun!!

Thanks for joining in with our blog Caroline. I think we need Gordon to come and sort our garden out and plant us up a veggy patch. We never seem to get around to doing it. My hoop and wool obsession and Jon's computer geekiness just somehow seem to take up all our time. I hope that your years goal gets to become reality as I think a website dedicated to your fabulous creatures would be brilliant! Have you considered giving the adoptees a blog page each on the site so they can keep you up to date on how your creations are getting along?

Dear readers, Caroline quite obviously adores her woolly babies, go to her etsy shop and see just how gorgeous they all are, or keep up to date with all the new creatures as they are made on her flickr account.

6 comments:

  1. Kitty and her creatures always bring a smile to my face

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great feature - I love the work she does. The fact that she knits a treat for each one to take to it's new home warmed my heart. Having her son pre-load them with hugs is such a sweet thing to do.

    Love the feature and I love Kitty's shop. Thanks for starting my morning off with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the interview..She does beautiful work..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I have always loved all the colours that Kitty uses :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! The photos with the striped socks and the leg warmers are fantastic!


    btw...congrats on the new van!

    ReplyDelete

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP